Sports Safety is integral in our promotion of a sporting culture among Singaporeans. In 2007, the Sports Safety Committee released a comprehensive report with detailed findings on sports safety standards and systems aligned with international best practices to the public. A review of the report was also carried out by the committee as part of its continuous improvement efforts in 2014.
In 2016, the Sports Safety Committee reconvene with the scope of water safety subsumed under the Committee.
The Sports Safety Committee is jointly chaired by Dr Benedict Tan (designation) and Chief Lai Chin Kwang (designation). The Sports Safety Committee Members are appointed by SportSG for a term of two years (8 September 2016 – 8 September 2018) renewable at the end of the term.
The key objective of the Committee is to work with all the relevant stakeholders, both in the government and private sector on a holistic and comprehensive approach to preventing sporting incidents.
The terms of reference of the Sports Safety Committee are as follows:
- To provide strategic guidance on the development, dissemination and implementation of sports and water safety guidelines for Singapore, incorporating risk management and injury prevention principles.
- To review the 2016 Sports Safety report and incorporate the water safety aspects
- To establish specialist sub-committees in specific areas such as water safety, event medical coverage, exercise & training facilities/ risk assessments, sports-related injuries (sudden death & heat injuries) and training & education in life-saving skills and pre-participation screening.
- To recommend priority areas for community outreach and educational programs, targeting groups such as community sports clubs and event organisers.
- To present the Committee’s recommendations to CEO, SportSG for his review and endorsement before public consultation and media release.
The Sports Safety Committee Report 2019 has since been translated into a Singapore Standard, SS681:2022 Code of Practice for Sport Safety.
The 2016 Sports Safety Committee members are as follows:
- Sports Safety Committee Members 2016 (With effect from 8 September 2016)
- ChairpersonDr Benedict Tan Head and Senior Consultant/Sports Physician, Changi Sports Medicine Centre, Changi General Hospital
- Mr Lai Chin Kwang Chief, ActiveSG Sport Singapore Members
- Prof Venkataraman Anantharaman Senior Consultant, Department of Emergency Medicine, Singapore General Hospital