spexCareer Scheme celebrates One Year milestone with 20 Corporate Partners on board
12 Dec 2014
Seven new companies join spexBusiness Network for Athletes
Singapore, 12 December 2014 – Seven new corporate partners, namely Banyan Tree, CapitaLand, Fuji Xerox Singapore, OSIM International, Pacific International Lines, Sports Link Holdings and Volkswagen Group Singapore, have joined the Sports Excellence Business (spexBusiness) Network for Athletes today, bringing the total to 20 companies from 16 diverse industries.
2. Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Lawrence Wong was the Guest-of-Honour at an appreciation lunch this afternoon at Borneo Motors Singapore’s Lexus Boutique to celebrate the one year milestone since the launch of the Sports Excellence Career (spexCareer) Scheme.
3. The spexBusiness Network for Athletes was formed to drive the spexCareer Scheme, comprising companies from across different industries which will offer career development support to Team Singapore athletes. This support comes in the form of providing internships, apprenticeships, job placements and flexible workplace practices.
4. To date, a total of 38 Team Singapore athletes have been placed with partner companies either on internships, apprenticeships, part-time or full-time employment.
5. Mr Ron Sim, Founder, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of OSIM International, feels that being part of the spexBusiness Network brings about a win-win opportunity for both the company and the athletes they recruit.
6. He said, “We have recruitment prospects from a pool of motivated athletes whose active and healthy lifestyles embody the qualities we espouse and these athletes also have the opportunity to build a career in an environment that allows them to continue their pursuit of high performance sports.”
7. National softball captain Cerigwen Ng is training hard in preparation for next year’s SEA Games and joined Borneo Motors Singapore this year as a management trainee officer in the sales department. She said, “I’m honoured to be the first Team Singapore athlete to work in Borneo Motors Singapore. They have a very supportive and conducive working environment, where the management team is very understanding of my training schedule, allowing me to train and work at the same time.”
8. Mr Koh Ching Hong, Managing Director of Borneo Motors Singapore, feels that the many qualities that athletes possess make them a perfect fit in the business environment. He said, “We believe that sportsmen have within them the discipline, hard work, resilience and a winning mentality in order to achieve results. Having Cerigwen join us is something that we welcome and sits nicely with our values and work philosophy.”
Annex A: Fact Sheet: spexBusiness Network for Athletes, spexBusiness Career Scheme, spexBusiness Advisory Panel and Athletes success stories
Annex B: List of Team Singapore athletes who have benefited from the spexCareer Scheme
For media enquiries, please contact:
Tel: +65 6500 5014
HP: +65 9764 4964