18 Team Singapore athletes awarded spexScholarships
02 Dec 2014
Singapore, 2 December 2014 - 18 Team Singapore athletes were unveiled today as new Sports Excellence Scholars (spexScholars) at the spexScholarship Awards Presentation Ceremony graced by Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Lawrence Wong.
2. The spexScholarship was launched in 2013 offering enhanced support to highly talented Singaporean athletes with the potential to medal at Asian, World and / or Olympic levels with 61 scholars coming on board the programme last year.
3. In all, the Singapore Sports Institute (SSI) received 160 nominations across 21 sports with 41 from 14 sports shortlisted for interviews this year. Following the interviews, the High Performance Sports (HPS) Selection & Performance Sub-Committee and the HPS Steering Committee reviewed the shortlisted candidates before confirming the final list of spexScholars.
4. Seven spexScholars from 2013 will have their scholarships renewed upon completion at the end of this year. However, one of them has declined the scholarship after informing the committee of the decision to retire from the sport.
5. Another seven spexScholars from last year will be completing their scholarship terms on 31 December and will exit the programme. As carded athletes, they will continue to receive support through the HPS support system.
6. Including the new scholars, it brings the total number of Team Singapore athletes in the spexScholarship programme to 71 across 15 sports.
7. At the Awards Presentation Ceremony, it was also announced that in collaboration with X-Bionic - a manufacturer of advanced performance wear - a bespoke series of recovery wear will be customised for all 71 spexScholars. The range of recovery wear, which includes top, bottom and socks, will be known as the “Patriot Singapore Edition” and will be presented to the spexScholars in February 2015.
8. Applications for the third intake of spexScholars will take place after the 28th SEA Games next year.
Annex A - spexScholars 2014
Annex B - Update on spexScholars 2013
Annex C - Fact Sheet on spexScholarship
For media enquiries, please contact:
Public Relations, Sport Singapore
Tel: +65 6500 5014
HP: +65 9764 4964