MAKE-A-NILA for the 28th SEA Games Medallists
29 Nov 2014
A first of its kind initiative presented by SINGSOC and FairPrice to foster ownership of the Games among the community
SINGAPORE, 29 November 2014 – Giving a twist to the mascot that accompanies the coveted SEA Games medals, the Singapore Southeast Asian Games Organising Committee (SINGSOC) has launched a programme to showcase the creative and softer side of Singaporeans.
2. The launch which took place in the Singapore Sports Hub’s Kallang Wave Mall, saw Minister-of-State for Culture, Community and Youth Sam Tan, representatives from NTUC FairPrice, the 28th SEA Games Chef De Mission, and SINGSOC sew and designed a commemorative 28th SEA Games NILA to signify the start of the community programme. Other community groups which joined in on the day’s activity – to Make-a-NILA – include FairPrice staff and beneficiaries, youth from SportCares, ActiveSG members, secondary school students, and even Team Singapore athletes and their families.
3. Ramping up the community involvement, less than 200 days to the Games, the Make-a-NILA campaign is one where everyone can contribute in a meaningful way. As the name suggests, members of the public ages 11 and up (children below 11 years old must be assisted by an adult) can sew, design and dedicate handmade 28th SEA Games Mascots, NILA, to the Games’ medallists. The Games will take place from 5 – 16 June 2015. Each participant who makes a NILA may even have the chance of being part of the victory ceremonies at the Games, and present his or her creation to a winning athlete.
4. Giving personalised mascots made by the community to the medallists is possibly a first at any major Games. “It is our turn to host the Games and we wanted the community to own and be part of this historical event that also coincides with SG50. Earlier this month, we launched the merchandise store for everyone to possess a piece of the Games, and contribute to social causes. Today, we are launching the Make-a-NILA programme where each and every medallist will receive a mascot that’s unique in its own way, handmade by the community, and a heartfelt gift from Singapore,” said Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, Executive Committee, SINGSOC. “We are also thankful to NTUC FairPrice for coming onboard as presenting sponsor for the programme. This is a very good example of how corporations can adopt 28th SEA Games initiatives and connect better with the community.”
5. NTUC FairPrice and FairPrice Foundation had earlier pledged S$5 million in contribution to the 28th SEA Games and part of it will go towards the Make-a-NILA programme. Commenting on the programme, Mr Tan Kian Chew, Group Chief Executive Officer of NTUC FairPrice and Director of FairPrice Foundation said, “Sports is a meaningful activity and a cause that FairPrice and FairPrice Foundation have supported over the years. Not only does it promote healthier living, sports also has the power to bring people and the community together. Through the Make-a-NILA programme and our partnership with SINGSOC in the 28th SEA Games, we hope to rally our staff, customers and community to cheer on our athletes as they play on the home-ground.”
6. The Make-a-NILA programme will require over 4,500 creatively designed NILAs which will be presented to athletes at the victory ceremonies at the 28th SEA Games. Over the next few months, members of the public can look forward to additional Make-a-NILA roadshows which will be conducted at ActiveSG Sport Centres, shopping malls, and selected NTUC FairPrice outlets.
7. The first Make-a-NILA roadshow was held today at the Sports Hub Kallang Wave Mall from 12pm to 8pm and will continue on Sunday from 12pm to 8pm. The next roadshow will be on 13 December (Saturday) at Sengkang Sports Centre from 3pm - 7pm.
8. Details on subsequent roadshows can be found at www.seagames2015.com.
Related Link: Opening Remarks By Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, Executive Committee, SINGSOC at Make-A-Nila Launch Event
For media enquiries, please contact:
Senior Executive, Public Relations & Strategic Communications
Community & Corporate Outreach, SINGSOC
Tel: +65 6500 5245
HP: +65 9729 3700
Assistant Director, Public Relations & Strategic Communications
Community & Corporate Outreach, SINGSOC
Tel: +65 6500 5236
HP: +65 9839 1974
Manager, Corporate Communications
NTUC Fairprice Co-operative Ltd
Tel: 6424 7895