How to be an NROC Coach
There are two categories of NROC membership namely provisional and full membership. To be eligible for the National Registry of Coaches (NROC), coaches need to fulfill the following requirements:
Values and Principles in Sport (VPS) or its equivalent1: The VPS workshop is a module within the SG-Coach Theory Level 1 course which covers the topics on coaching philosophy, appropriate behaviours of coaches, teaching of values through Game-For-Life framework, information on Ministry of Education’s 21st Century Competencies Framework and Student Outcomes, and introduction to anti-doping. Certificates which are deemed as its equivalent are SG-Coach Theory Level 1 Certificate which includes the VPS module, National Standards in Youth Sports for Coaching in Singapore Schools Certificate and Certificate of Attendance for Building Capacity of Coaches and Instructors (BCCI)’ Workshop.
A coach may apply and register for NROC membership in one of the following ways (please note that registration for provisional membership will commence only from 3 January 2017 onwards):
- Submit an online application with the above certifications as stated in the admission requirements above
- Download the NROC application form, fill up the form then scan and email to firstname.lastname@example.org, along with all scanned supporting documents.
- Visit SportSG office in person on Thursdays from 3pm to 5pm (excluding public holidays) with above certifications.
Sport Singapore office
3 Stadium Drive
The processing of each application will take between 7 to 14 working days. All applicants will be notified of the results of applications via email and successful applicants will receive a membership card mailed to his residential address.
Should you encounter any issues and require assistance in person may visit us at Sport Singapore office (3 Stadium Drive, Singapore 397630) on Thursdays from 3pm to 5pm (excluding public holidays). Alternatively, you may contact us at email@example.com or 6500 5296 for assistance.
Our office is close on 11 May 2017, Thursday and 12 May 2017, Friday for CoachSG Conference 2017. We will resume operations on the following Thursday, 18 May 2017.
The rules of admission requirements above is applicable to all applicants.
Additionally, the foreign applicant is required to submit a valid Work Pass or Letter of Consent for coaching from Ministry of Manpower stating that the person is authorised to offer coaching services.
- For Provisional Membership, no membership fee is required during the three-year term. A coach may convert to full NROC membership once he/she had attained the required certification before the expiry of the provisional membership. A coach whom had successfully converted from provisional to full membership will enjoy a three-year term immediately with no membership fee required.
- For full Membership, no membership fee is required for the initial three-year term. A renewal fee of $60.00 applies for subsequent blocks of each three-year terms. All fees paid are not refundable.
Standard First Aid (including AED)
During the course of coaching, there could be incidences of emergency or injury, it is essential that coaches are trained in the knowledge and skills in Standard First Aid, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and usage of Automated External Defibrillator (AED). This will better prepare coaches for emergency situations and manage the risks involved in sports coaching.
Sport Singapore requires all NROC-registered coaches to have a valid Standard First Aid certificate. The minimum number of hours spent on the Standard First Aid course should not be less than 21 hours long with a theoretical examination and practical assessment including AED, CPR and bandaging of wounds.
View a list of Sport Singapore Recognised First Aid Courses