Singapores stars come together to create Songs of the Games
Singapore’s stars come together to create Songs of the Games
Home-grown musical talents helmed by Dr Sydney Tan put together official music album for the 28th SEA Games
Singapore, 3 March 2015 – Boasting a stellar-line up of Singapore’s most talented musicians including The Sam Willows, Daphne Khoo, Tabitha Nauser and Dick Lee, the Singapore Southeast Asian Games Organising Committee (SINGSOC) today launched ‘Songs of the Games’, the official music album of the 28th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games.
2. Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, SINGSOC EXCO said, “Music can inspire people to feel the pulse and excitement of the SEA Games. We want the album to enhance the experience of the entire event. The shared emotions from the thrills and rhythms of competitions, our athletes and music are an important legacy for our Games. We appreciate Singapore’s music talents for wanting to be part of Games’ journey and history, and we hope that their words and music will continue to be heard for years to come.”
3. Produced by Dr Sydney Tan, Music Director, SINGSOC EXCO, the fully digital album features 14 songs including the three official theme songs of the 28th SEA Games - ‘Greatest’ written and performed by Daphne Khoo; ‘Ordinary’ written by Amir Masoh and performed by The Sam Willows; and ‘Unbreakable’ written by Amir Masoh and performed by Tabitha Nauser. The songs in the album will be used extensively during the Opening and Closing Ceremony of the Games and its theme will mirror that of the 28th SEA Games – Celebrate the Extraordinary.
4. Said Dr Tan, “Songs of the Games is a compilation of songs created to provide the backdrop and accompanying soundtrack to the 28th SEA Games. Drawing inspiration from the Games’ theme of ‘Celebrate the Extraordinary’, the songs express a variety of perspectives from the individual writers that parallel its relevance to sport and our own journeys in life.”
5. ‘Songs of the Games’ is now available free-of-charge for listening on the official SEA Games website, Spotify, AMPED and Deezer. The songs are also available for purchase on iTunes, prices ranging from S$1.28 to S$1.48 for one song and S$9.98 for the album. Album purchases on iTunes will include an exclusive album e-book containing song lyrics and musician profiles. A portion of the proceeds from iTunes sales will go towards the SportCares Foundation, a movement set up to enable and empower the under-resourced to live better lives through sport.
‘Ordinary’ Short Film and ‘Unbreakable’ Music Video
6. Complementing the release of the song album is the unveiling of two videos.
7. The first video is a short film inspired by theme song ‘Ordinary’ - a song that describes the journey of a young man who dares to pursue his dream. Directed by local filmmaker, Nicole Woodford, the film features the true story of Singapore’s favourite footballing son, Fandi Ahmad.
8. The second video is the music video for theme song ‘Unbreakable’ – a song about persevering through the pain when one is daunted by their struggles to give up and walk away. The first of two official ‘Songs of the Games’ music videos, the film features Team Singapore athletes, including Joseph Schooling (Swimming), Jazreel Tan (Bowling), Muhammad Shakir Bin Juanda (Silat), Shanti Veronica Pereira (Athletics) and Wong Weilong, Ng Hanbin, Lim Shengyu, Desmond Oh and Russell Low (all from Basketball).
9. All three videos will premiere exclusively on the SEA Games Facebook page where fans can connect with their favourite athletes and follow the latest updates from the Games.
10. The ‘Ordinary’ short film will be uploaded today on Facebook where fans are invited to submit their questions for Fandi Ahmad in a Q&A session. The music video for ‘Unbreakable’ will be uploaded on 7 March while the third SEA Games theme song ‘Greatest’ will be uploaded at a later date.
‘Songs of the Games’ Contest
11. In addition to the album, today also saw the launch of the online ‘Songs of the Games’ contest. Open to the region, budding singers and performers are invited to submit their renditions of any of the 14 songs via YouTube for a chance to win attractive cash prizes.