Speech By Mr Richard Seow, Chairman Of Sponsorship And Marketing Advisory Sub-Committee, SINGSOC For Deloitte Singapore’s Support For The 28th SEA Games
07 Aug 2014
Mr Chaly Mah, Chairman, Deloitte Singapore
Mr Philip Yuen, CEO, Deloitte Singapore
Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, Executive Committee, SINGSOC
Ladies and Gentlemen,
Good afternoon, and thank you for joining us today as we welcome onboard Deloitte as the official professional services partner for the 28th Southeast Asian Games.
2. Deloitte is no stranger to supporting Singapore sports, from events like the inaugural Youth Olympic Games 2010, to Sport Singapore’s recently launched Sports Excellence Career Scheme which offer career development support for Team Singapore athletes. Through the Spex Career Scheme, two such athletes who have come under Deloitte’s wing are netballer Suhailah Binte Kariman and Singapore’s top badminton player, Derek Wong who recently made history as the first Singaporean to make the finals of the men’s singles in badminton Commonwealth Games, clinching a Silver medal for Singapore. We hope that our national athletes will be able to do their company proud, as they have done so for Singapore in the sports arena.
3. As of today, we have reached our halfway mark of the targeted sponsorship amount with Deloitte Singapore’s commitment of S$5million in value-in-kind services and cash. It is a privilege to have an Olympic standard partner onboard with us in this journey towards the 28th SEA Games and we look forward to making these Games a befitting celebration on the year of Singapore’s 50th birthday. Deloitte’s expertise will guide our planning, help build a legacy where all of us in the sports fraternity can work towards learning from these Games, and raise the benchmark in organising future sporting events in Singapore.
4. The 28th SEA Games has a special place in the hearts of many Singaporeans. It is where many of our sporting legends have made their mark, and touched our hearts. From swim Queen Joscelin Yeo’s record nine Gold medals in the 1993 SEA Games – who is still a household name up till today, long after her retirement from competitive swimming, and extraordinary feats where cyclist Dinah Chan, in just three months from being in a road accident, overcame adversity to win the Gold medal in the 2013 SEA Games’ individual 30-kilometre time trial. Rightfully so, our theme for the Games ‘Celebrate the Extraordinary’ encapsulates these exact moments and feelings we hope will inspire Singaporeans and the region’s potential 600 million audience.
5. With about 10 months to the 28th SEA Games, the support from the corporate sector in Singapore is invaluable to making these Games a success. This announcement of our third top tier sponsor comes at a time where we will be ramping up the Games’ presence in the community; from schools, roadshows, sports events, and sponsor activation events to build up anticipation for the region’s most prestigious multi-sport event.
6. I foresee this partnership will bring a lot more opportunities and knowledge to Sporting Singapore beyond the Games. Together with Deloitte, let’s Celebrate the Extraordinary!
7. Thank you.
Press Release - Deloitte Appointed The Official Professional Services Partner For The 28th SEA Games