Speech By Mr Richard Seow, Sport Singapore Chairman And Chairman Of Sponsorship And Marketing Advisory Sub-Committee, SINGSOC At The SINGSOC-SingTel Partnership Agreement Ceremony
27 Jun 2014
Mr Lawrence Wong, Minister for Culture, Community and Youth and Chairman, Steering Committee, SINGSOC
Mr Yuen Kuan Moon, CEO, Consumer Singapore, SingTel
Your excellencies and dignitaries from Southeast Asia
Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, Executive Committee, SINGSOC
Ladies and Gentlemen
A very good evening to you all and thank you for joining us for another significant milestone in our journey towards the 28th SEA Games.
2. Having signed our first sponsorship agreement this past Tuesday, it gives me great pleasure to announce our newest partner who will be joining us on the journey towards making the 28th SEA Games an truly extraordinary event for everyone to remember.
3. We are pleased to announce that SingTel, has come on board to be our largest Tier One sponsor to date and will be our official multimedia partner for the Games in 2015. Well known to us all our home-grown telecommunications company SingTel is the largest company by market capitalization on the Singapore Exchange and has over 400 million mobile customers around the world,
4. In planning for the Games, we envisaged it to be the most digitalised Games in its history - One in which we can use technology powered by SingTel to augment game experiences and reach out to the entire Southeast Asia region and beyond.
5. With an internet penetration rate of almost 160 million* and a smartphone penetration rate of about 130 million* users in Southeast Asia, numerous opportunities abound for an immersive and exciting Games experience.
6. Leveraging the full range of platforms available for interactive content, SINGSOC is planning for innovations such as second screen to enhance Games time experience for selected sports – A first for the SEA Games.
7. This timely partnership will not only allow us to capture, interpret and co-create compelling shareable content, but will also allows the Games to leverage on their comprehensive portfolio of services that is ever-so-critical in today’s working environment where speed and resiliency of data transmission is key.
8. Their services will help our communications needs during Games time and will facilitate the dissemination of vital information – for example, competition, schedules and results to the various stakeholders in a quick a time as possible.
9. How far we can go to leverage the potential brought about by technology is limited only by our imagination.
10. We are excited to have SingTel on board in sharing our vision and journey towards bringing the best in sports through continued support for the local sporting scene and enabling Singapore to be a world-class sporting host with the latest multimedia and communications technologies. SingTel’s involvement in the 28th SEA Games is also a reflection of how companies are recognising the potential of sports both in its value and reach to their target audiences.
11. We are looking forward to the immersive experience that everyone will be able to enjoy with SingTel’s support with their commitment towards developing a strong and inclusive sporting environment in Singapore.
12. I hope that through this partnership with Asia’s leading multimedia solutions group - SingTel, will lead to more and better opportunities for collaboration for the future of Singapore sport. Allow us all to live better through sport.
13. Thank you.
*Source: London2012 data from Alex Balfour, Head of New Media, LOCOG
Press Release - SingTel Pledges Over S$15 million For 28th SEA Games