About 40,000 mark the start of an Extraordinary SEA Games
05 Jun 2015
SINGAPORE, 5 June 2015 – About 40,000 people came together in a spectacular Opening Ceremony for the 28th SEA Games, marking the start of an Extraordinary Games.
Some 5,000 performers and volunteers participated in the breathtaking show at Singapore’s National Stadium, featuring 2,000 props. The sold-out Opening Ceremony was a three-hour spectacle, where the audience got to enjoy extensive multimedia projections, light and sound displays, colorful costumes and dazzling aerial props. Some of Singapore’s most well-known arts, music and sports personalities were also featured.
The Opening Ceremony consisted of five key Acts:
Act 1: DNA
- A visual embodiment of the DNA that makes us unique but connects us to one another – five unique animals of Southeast Asian lore arced through the still of the night
Act 2: IMAGINATION
- Act 2 was inspired by the limitless imagination of children from all over Southeast Asia
Act 3: YOUTH EXPRESSION
- A celebration of youth voices, hopes and dreams
Act 4: SPORTS AND THE CITY
- The SEA Games recognises and honours the athletes, the coaches and the support of their families, from all the different cities in Southeast Asia
Act 5: SINGAPORE IN THE STADIUM
- An act symbolising the gesture of friendship, unity and mutual respect
The Ceremony culminated in the lighting of the 28th SEA Games Cauldron, by an athlete father-and-son pair - Singapore’s well-loved football legend Fandi Ahmad and his son, national footballer Irfan Fandi Ahmad.