Weber Shandwick Appointed Official Public Relations Partner of the 28th SEA Games in Singapore
11 Mar 2015
Singapore, 11 March 2015
– Weber Shandwick, one of the world's leading global public relations firms, has been appointed the official public relations partner of the 28th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games and 8th ASEAN Para Games.
2. The partnership sees Weber Shandwick provide public relations support to the Singapore Southeast Asian Games Organising Committee (SINGSOC), Singapore ASEAN Para Games Organising Committee (SAPGOC) and Team Singapore, for the two major regional sporting events, SEA and ASEAN Para Games, to be held in Singapore in June and December respectively.
3. Additionally, the Weber Shandwick Singapore team will be responsible for drumming up excitement for the Games and encouraging Singaporeans to get behind the athletes as “One Team Singapore”. Weber Shandwick will also lead the training programme for more than 300 SEA Games media relations volunteers.
4. “We are honoured to have been selected as a key partner of the Games, especially since this year also marks Singapore’s Golden Jubilee,” said Vanessa Ho-Nikolovski, managing director, Weber Shandwick Singapore. “As a firm that has built its success in Singapore over three decades, we are proud to be able to share our passion for sport, creativity and specialist expertise to help make the Games a big success for the nation.”
5. Ho-Nikolovski added, “Singapore is rising as Asia’s new sports hub and an extensive year-round calendar of high profile sports events, such as the Formula 1 and the WTA Finals, will only continue to accelerate the country’s spirit and passion for sport.”
6. Toh Boon Yi, Chief, Community & Corporate Outreach, SINGSOC commented, “Weber Shandwick has a strong global heritage of sporting expertise and an outstanding track record in sports public relations, and this makes them an ideal partner to work with on raising awareness and excitement of the Games in Singapore, and the region. Greater exposure and publicity of the Games are important, so that everyone can better appreciate the sporting events and support our athletes as One Team Singapore. We look forward to working with Weber Shandwick to generate extraordinary stories that will be remembered and re-told beyond the Games”.
7. Weber Shandwick’s SEA and ASEAN Para Games partnership follows the firm’s Olympic bid successes including Tokyo 2020, Turin 2006, Beijing 2008 and Sochi 2014, and it has been the lead international public relations firm for the Sochi 2014 Organising Committee since Sochi’s victory in 2007.
8. Weber Shandwick’s track record in sports public relations in Singapore includes supporting the promotion of GM International's Chevrolet brand’s sponsorship of Manchester United in Asia Pacific, and MasterCard’s various sports sponsorships including MasterCard Legends Academy with Nick Faldo and the Rugby World Cup 2011. The firm also worked on the public relations strategy for Singapore’s first Viper Challenge, the region’s largest and most gruelling obstacle-based event.