Higher competitive action expected at SNG 2014
26 Aug 2014
2nd edition of Singapore National Games from 1-9 November
Singapore, 26 August 2014
– The Singapore National Games (SNG) 2014 returns with its second edition and will take place from 1 to 9 November at various ActiveSG Sports Centres, including the Singapore Sports Hub. More than 9,000 athletes are expected to compete in 12 sports: Athletics, Badminton, Basketball, Bowling, Dragon Boat, Futsal, Netball, Sepak Takraw, Swimming, Table Tennis, Hockey5 and Volleyball – with the last two sports being newly introduced this year.
2. Organised biennially by Sport Singapore (SportSG) in collaboration with the respective National Sports Associations (NSAs), SNG aims to develop a strong and inclusive sporting culture driven by passion and enthusiasm, as well as to promote active and healthy living.
3. Says Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chief Executive Officer, SportSG and Chairman of the SNG 2014 Steering Committee, “The Singapore National Games is the main Multi-Sport Event on our local sporting calendar to be played at the National level and this year we expect to see a higher level of competitive action for all athletes. It is a competition that has something for everyone, whether you are an aspiring athlete, a supporter or a volunteer. I look forward to welcoming all sports enthusiasts to join us to be a part of the SNG this year and to live better through sport.”
4. Open to Singapore Citizens, Permanent Residents and foreigners living in Singapore*, participants are welcomed to form teams or sign up as individuals to represent any of the five zones - North, East, West, Central and North-East – in Junior, Open and Masters (Men’s and Women’s) categories. Each category will also feature Divisions A and B to cater to different skill levels. Registration commences on 1 Sep 2014 till 12 Oct 2014 via the SNG 2014 website or in person at any ActiveSG Sports Centres across the island.
5. This year’s event will open to celebratory festivities set against Singapore’s beautiful city night scene at the Singapore Sports Hub’s Promenade on 1 November; while the closing ceremony is slated to take place at the OCBC Arena on 9 November.
6. This unique event in Singapore’s sport calendar also offers the opportunity to cultivate volunteerism among Singaporeans through an enriching project experience. Besides participating as athletes and supporters, SNG also welcomes enthusiastic volunteers to be part of the biggest local multi-sport event of the year. Through numerous roles across various functional areas, SNG volunteers will get to work closely with other like-minded individuals behind the scenes and experience the excitement of this highlight on our sporting calendar.
* Subject to Terms and Conditions. Refer to Event Fact Sheet for more details.
Please refer to "Factsheet on Singapore National Games 2014" for more information.
About Singapore National Games
The Singapore National Games (SNG) is a Multi-Sport competition organised by Sport Singapore (SportSG) in collaboration with the National Sports Associations (NSAs) of the various sports. The inaugural edition of the SNG took place in 2012 and will subsequently take place every two years.
The SNG provides a competitive platform up to National level for sporting talents to step forward to compete as well as creating pathways to nurture our school athletes.
Singaporeans, Permanent Residents and Foreigners who are residents are eligible to compete in the SNG, representing any of the following five zones of the country – North, East, West, Central and North East.
To find out more, visit our website www.singaporenationalgames.sg
Follow us at www.facebook.com/SingaporeNationalGames
For media enquiries, please contact:
VOXCOMMƵ – VOX Group Pte Ltd
Mobile: +65 9686 1479
Mobile: +65 9616 1088