ActiveSG$100 For Every Singaporean To Play Sport
26 Apr 2014
30,000 people activated their membership on the first day
Vice President of Singapore National Olympic Council Mr Ng Ser Miang, Acting Minister for Culture, Community and Youth, Mr Lawrence Wong and Sport Singapore Chairman, Mr Richard Seow commencing the launch of ActiveSG with Team Singapore Archer
Singapore, 26 April 2014
– Open to all Singaporeans and Permanent Residents, each ActiveSG member will be given ActiveSG$100 to sign up for sports programmes, and enter into swimming pools and gyms at the various Sports Centres island-wide. Membership is free. Acting Minister for Culture, Community & Youth, Mr Lawrence Wong announced these when he officially launched ActiveSG at Jurong West Sports Centre this evening.
2. “Singaporeans from all walks of life, regardless of age, skill level, or physical ability can lead an active lifestyle through sports. They can come together to learn, train, compete in a range of sports,” said Mr Wong. “We will credit all ActiveSG members with ActiveSG$100 to help kick-start their fitness routine. I hope that Singaporeans will come onboard to embrace this movement and share this with their family and friends too so that we can all get active and Live Better Through Sport.”
Ms Chong Fuie Choo and her daughter participating in ‘Fun On Wheels’ at ActiveSG’s Jurong West Open House
3. Madam Iris Han, 74, came down to ActiveSG’s Jurong West Open House with her daughter-in-law, Ms Chong Fuie Choo and two granddaughters to try out the new activities. “This is my first time seeing some of these activities and my granddaughters really liked the rollerblading and cycling. They liked it so much that they went to do this a few rounds!”
Participants taking part in the studio programmes at Jurong West Sports Centre
4. Nurhikma, a 16 year-old student who found out about the Open House activities such as KpopX Fitness through flyers, came down with her fellow schoolmate, Lin Zhen Xia, also 16. “We like dancing, and I asked my friend (Zhen Xia) along. This is something we enjoy and we’re losing weight at the same time. We enjoyed ourselves so much. We’re definitely coming back for more.”
Children playing Flippa Ball at Jurong West Sports Centre Open House
5. Singaporeans and PRs can sign-up as an ActiveSG member via www.myactivesg.com, or at any of the Sports Centres island-wide.
Upcoming Open House Details
6. Introducing the new offerings to the public ActiveSG will be holding several Open houses at the following Sports Centres from 9am to 6pm
• 27 April (Sunday): Sengkang Sports Centre
• 03 May (Saturday): Yio Chu Kang Sports Centre
• 04 May (Sunday): Bishan Sports Centre
• 10 May (Saturday): Pasir Ris Sports Centre
As a key recommendation of Vision 2030 – Singapore’s master plan for sports, ActiveSG was launched in April 2014 as the national movement for sport. ActiveSG aims to create a sporting ecosystem that provides innovative and experiential sport related programmes at sports centres island-wide. This movement will act as an enabler to build a community for individuals, families and organisations from different zones where Singaporeans can come together to learn, train, compete and host a range of sports. Working together with communities, National Sports Associations (NSAs), schools, corporations, public agencies and interest groups, ActiveSG aims to co-create programmes that are affordable and inclusive for all skill levels and age groups.
About Sport Singapore
As the national sports agency, Sport Singapore’s core purpose is to inspire the Singapore spirit and transform Singapore through sport. Through innovative, fun and meaningful sporting experiences, our mission is to reach out and serve communities across Singapore with passion and pride. With Vision 2030 – Singapore’s sports master plan, our mandate goes beyond winning medals. Sport Singapore uses sport to create greater sporting opportunities and access, more inclusivity and integration as well as broader development of capabilities. At Sport Singapore, we work with a vast network of public-private-people sector partners for individuals to live better through sports.
To find out more, visit our websites www.sportsingapore.gov.sg and www.myactivesg.com.
Follow us at https://www.facebook.com/myActiveSG and www.youtube.com/SingaporeSports.
For photographs, go to www.flickr.com/ssc-sportsphotography