Make A Difference Through 28th SEA Games Official Merchandise
01 Nov 2014
Opened in the heart of the city, the first official merchandise store offers over 100 items
Singapore, 1 November 2014 – The journey to the 28th Southeast Asian (SEA) Games continues with the launch of official SEA Games merchandise and the opening of the first SEA Games merchandise store: another key milestone in the lead up to the Games in Singapore in June 2015. Besides looking to drum up excitement in the lead up to the SEA Games’ return to Singapore, the store also strives to contribute to a greater cause - supporting social good.
2. “The 28th SEA Games celebrates the extraordinary in every individual. We are very proud to partner organisations such as The Movement for the Intellectually Disabled of Singapore (MINDS); the Singapore Association of the Visually Handicapped (SAVH); the Singapore Corporation of Rehabilitative Enterprises (SCORE); SportCares Foundation and the Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund (SPMF) - local organisations that have been helping the less privileged, to give back to the community through the Games. In this way, more people have an opportunity to play a part in helping worthy causes through the Games. That is something worth celebrating!” said Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chairman, Executive Committee, SINGSOC.
3. Announced at the launch today at the first 28th SEA Games merchandise store in front of Wisma Atria Shopping Centre, a portion of the proceeds from the sales will go to the non-profit organisations. $10 from the sales of acrylic paintings hand painted by MINDS trainees and $1 from the sales of tote bags put together by MINDS trainees will go directly to MINDS. $1 from the sales of three specially themed gel bracelets, one each for MINDS, SAVH and SCORE, will go directly to the respective causes. Five percent of total proceeds will also be donated to social causes such as SportCares Foundation and SPMF. SportCares Foundation is a movement to use sport as a channel to help the vulnerable segment of the community to live better lives while the SPMF will go into providing pocket money to children from lower-income families and supporting the children’s social and educational development.
4. Members of the public will be able to buy a wide range of official SEA Games 2015 merchandise products including shirts, mugs, bags and also collectible pins. A limited edition souvenir set of 50 pins, each pin uniquely designed to represent the 11 participating countries and 39 sport poses (36 sports including aquatics which consists of 4 types of sport) during the Games, will also be available.
5. Showcasing Singapore’s local talent; the whole collection of merchandise is conceptualised and produced by young local designers Cheong Kah Meng and Brenna Soong while the store carries apparels designed specially by Singaporean designer, Benny Ong.
6. The merchandise store is also designed to be eco-friendly. The bulk of the store is developed from recycled materials and everything will be recycled again after the closing of the store. The interior fixtures are handcrafted using recycled pallets, conceptualized together with local store stylist cum young entrepreneur, Fiona Tham.
7. “The merchandise and the store are the results of our committed effort to involve and support our local community. Whether it is spreading awareness of our local designers or the message of being environmentally responsible, we want to add value and meaning to every SEA Games 2015 memorabilia each person takes home.” said Sportz and Fitness Team Managing Director, Mr Jacky Yap. Sportz and Fitness Team is the official merchandising partner of the SEA Games 2015.
8. Team Singapore swimmer Danny Yeo said, “I am looking forward to bringing home with me a few items from the store, especially since I know that each purchase I make will go back to the community who has shown immense support for the Team Singapore athletes over the years.”
9. For those who would like to take home a part of the Games while making a positive difference, the official SEA Games 2015 merchandise store is located along Orchard Road, in front of Wisma Atria and will be open from 11am to 10pm daily. The official merchandise will also be available online from the 17th of November onwards at shop.seagames2015.com.
For media enquiries, please contact:
Senior Executive, Public Relations and Strategic Communications, SINGSOC
Tel: +65 6500 5246
HP: +65 9729 3700
Executive, Public Relations and Strategic Communications, SINGSOC
HP: +65 9298 2670