Singapore, 19 June 2013 - The Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore (SCMS), Singapore's marquee running event and recently awarded Best Sports Event (Local) at the Singapore Sports Awards 2013, returns for yet another edition. Registration for the SCMS 2013 will officially open on Thursday, 4 July 2013, at The Event Square, Waterfront Promenade @ Marina Bay (next to Bayfront Link) at 11am. Runners will also be able to register online via the Marathon's official website from 6pm that day. The first 300 registrants at The Event Square, Waterfront Promenade @ Marina Bay will get a special SEIKO timer alarm clock, while the next 500 registrants will receive a limited edition gym bag. Lucky draws will also be conducted, with 15 SEIKO watches worth S$494 each to be won. Registrants at The Event Square will also receive S$5 discount for all categories, except Ekiden.
MORE SLOTS AND EFFICIENT REGISTRATION
2. Given its popularity, the participation quota for the Half Marathon category has been increased from 10,000 to 12,000. With the improvement to the Half Marathon route in 2012, the organisers are confident that the increase will not compromise the race experience. The participation quota for the Full Marathon, 10km and Kids Dash categories remain unchanged at 25,000, 20,000 and 5,000 respectively. Overall, SCMS 2013 has made provision for 62,000 runners.
3. The registration quota for the Ekiden category has also gone up to 300 this year. Based on runners' feedback, registration for the highly popular Ekiden category will only take place at the launch venue (The Event Square, Waterfront Promenade @ Marina Bay) on 4 July 2013. In addition, Ekiden teams only require one person to register on-site for the team. This will allow all runners to experience a smoother registration process and a shorter registration time. The on-site registration for Ekiden category will be open from 11.00am to 4.00pm (4 July 2013).
MODEST CHANGE IN PRICE
4. SCMS 2013 will also see a nominal increase in registration prices for all categories due to rising operational costs. There will be S$10 increase in price for Full Marathon, Half Marathon and 10km, and S$5 increase for Kids Dash categories. Despite having three start points (since 2010) and being the only IAAF Gold Label race in South-east Asia, the event has managed to maintain the same fees since 2008. Said Mr Toh Boon Yi, Chief of Strategic Development and Marketing Group, SSC: "We have deliberated carefully the need to provide a good and safe race experience for all runners and supporters, and keeping the price affordable. The operational cost of staging a high-quality sporting event of this magnitude has risen significantly over the years. Despite the modest increase, SCMS is still one of the more affordable IAAF Gold Label races, compared to other notable marathons. We trust runners will understand that this is necessary for the SCMS to remain financially viable, thereby giving all of us a quality and memorable race in 2013."
SCMS 2013 SUPPORTS SPORTCARES
5. Dr Tony Tan, the President of Singapore, recently became Patron of SportCares, providing a strong vote of confidence in this new philanthropic organisation which was set up in 2012 to activate sport as a force for social good. In an effort to raise funds for SportCares' programmes and activities for underprivileged children and youth at risk, S$2 from every SCMS 2013 registration will go towards supporting SportCares.
6. "We hope to raise at least S$100,000 for SportCares which seeks to seed hopes and change lives for the better through sports. SCMS 2013 will lead the way for other sport events in pledging a portion of their registration fees to SportCares," added Mr Toh.
7. Among the new social development concepts that have been created by SportCares are the Saturday Night Lights community football programme for youth and the Young Mentors programme, which teaches student leaders to use sport to inculcate good values and character in children.
8 For further details of the SCMS 2013, including the Registration Launch and race registration, please visit the Marathon's official website at www.marathonsingapore.com and the Marathon's Official Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/MarathonSG. For more details on SportCares activities, please visit www.facebook.com/sportcaresSG.