Singapore, 29 September 2011 - The Singapore Sports Council (SSC), in partnership with NTUC FairPrice (FairPrice), has launched a drive to gather well-wishes for Team Singapore by getting the public to share their everyday stories of determination, perseverance and grit. Singaporeans can dedicate the values they feel best represent the Singapore Spirit for the athletes to take to the 26th Southeast Asian Games and the 6th ASEAN Para Games happening in Indonesia this November and December respectively.
2. Madam Halimah Yacob, Minister of State for Community Development, Youth and Sports who graced the event at FairPrice Xtra @ nex was the first to pen her well-wish, by pledging the value of "Dedication" for Team Singapore to take to the Games. She was joined by Mr Lim Teck Yin, Chief Executive Officer, SSC; Mr Gerry Lee, Managing Director (Business Groups), NTUC FairPrice; Mr Ee Tiang Hwee, Chef-de-Mission for the 6th ASEAN Para Games and Mr Antony Lee, Assistant Chef-de-Mission for Team Singapore at the 26th SEA Games. Team Singapore athletes - New Hui Fen (Bowling), Mohammad Afiq Yunos (Football), Lim Heem Wei (Gymnastics), Mohammad Shakir Juanda (Silat) and Mohammad Firdaus Nordin (Wheelchair Racing), were also present at the event.
3. The SSC hopes that the well-wishes will capture the essence of the Singapore Spirit as told through the stories of every day Singaporeans. "It is our turn to be a source of inspiration for Team Singapore. We want Singaporeans to share their stories, so that our athletes can take the values and fighting spirit of every Singaporean with them to the Games," said Mr Lim Teck Yin, CEO, SSC. "Our cheers and wishes serve as a reminder that they have the support of the nation behind them. They know that they are not alone in their fight to the podium."
4. Continuing its firm support for Team Singapore and the Sporting Singapore, FairPrice has joined SSC in partnership to help Singaporeans dedicate the values which they feel are most representative of the Singapore Spirit on well-wishing cards, made available at 64 selected FairPrice outlets across the island, from 29 September to 22 December 2011.
5. "FairPrice believes in the ability of sports to strengthen community bonds. As a social enterprise, we are committed to fostering community bonding and we are proud once again to support our athletes by helping to raise awareness, and bring Singaporeans together to root for Team Singapore in the upcoming Games. Let us all do our part as Singaporeans to wish our team well and cheer them on," said Mr Gerry Lee, Managing Director (Business Groups), NTUC FairPrice.
6. Over the years, FairPrice and FairPrice Foundation has been supportive of various sports related initiatives. This includes FairPrice Foundation's sports scholarships for medalists of the Asian Youth Games in 2009 and Youth Olympic Games in 2010 where over $100,000 and $150,000 were donated respectively. In 2010, Cheers, FairPrice's convenience arm, also organised a massive cheer event to rally support for our youth athletes prior to the Youth Olympic Games last year as well.
7. Members of the public are also encouraged to send in their well-wishes and share their stories online via Facebook (www.facebook.com/TeamSG) and the Team Singapore website (www.teamsingapore.com.sg) during the same period.
8. In addition, a well-wishing showcase in the form of a 3D stadium will be erected outside Mandarin Gallery from 24 October to 6 November 2011, where Singaporeans will be able to wish Team Singapore well before they head off to the Games.