Coach Development Grant
Section 1: Introduction
The Coach Development Grant (CDG) provides financial assistance to individual sports coaches who wish to upgrade their coaching knowledge and skills via attending coaching attachments, conferences, short-term courses, workshops and seminars as well as obtaining a Degree or Diploma, both locally and overseas.
All learning activities covered by this grant will be known as ‘CDG Activity’ in subsequent sections.
SportSG will review the application and deliberate on the actual grant amount for each application. Please note that SportSG reserves the final right on the funding decision.
Through CDG, SportSG aims to build ongoing partnerships with individual CDG recipients. Through this partnership, CDG recipients will have the opportunity to:
- Help develop other sports coaches professionally;
- Be invited to share their sports coaching stories, knowledge, experience and insights at CoachSG’s selected platforms (e.g. CoachSG Conference)
Section 2: CDG Overview
Course / Workshop / Seminar
Overseas Course / Workshop / Seminar with Mentorship Attachment or Mentorship Attachment only
- Registered with the National Registry of Coaches (NROC); and
- Actively coaching community or school level for at least 2 years (Singaporeans and PRs) or 4 years (foreigners)
- Registered with the NROC; and
- Actively coaching athletes for national, regional, continental and / or international competitions for at least 2 years (Singaporeans and PRs) or 4 years (foreigners)
- NROC Provisional Coach – S$500
- NROC Coach – S$1,000
- NROC Senior Coach – S$3,000
- NROC Master Coach – S$5,000
- Coach Developer – S$10,000
- NROC Provisional Coach – S$1,500
- NROC Coach – S$3,000
- NROC Senior Coach – S$20,000
- NROC Master Coach – S$30,000
- Coach Developer – S$10,000
Co-Payment by SportSG
- Singaporeans and PRs – Up to 75%
- Foreigners – Up to 25%
After the CDG Activity, the applicant is required to:
- Reimburse SportSG the difference between disbursed amount and actual amount utilised (see Section 6 for more details); and
- Submit at least 1 learning resource; and
- Deliver 2 CCE workshops – 1 to other NROC coaches from his / her own sport and 1 to NROC coaches from other sports; and
- Submit documentary proof of the CDG Activity (see Section 5 for more details)
At least 1 learning resource must be submitted within 1 month after the CDG Activity end date. Learning resources refer to information that can help fellow coaches develop their coaching knowledge and competencies. Examples of learning resources include, but are not limited to:
- Online materials (e.g. blog entries, YouTube videos)
- Audio-visual materials (e.g. CDs, DVDs, podcasts, webcasts, interviews with participating coaches / coach developers)
- Written materials (e.g. coaching journals / articles / guides)
- Visual representations (e.g. posters, mind maps, drawings)
CoachSG may utilise submitted learning resources for future SportSG and / or CoachSG events and activities.
Deliver CCE Workshops
2 CCE workshops (1 to other NROC coaches from his / her own sport and 1 to NROC coaches from other sports) must be delivered maximum within 1 year after the CDG Activity end date. The possible formats of CCE workshops are:
- Develop and deliver sport-specific CCE workshops (e.g. Communities of Practice (CoPs)) with SportSG and / or their NSA;
- Share experience and lessons learnt through SportSG platforms (e.g. CCE workshops and / or SSI / CoachSG Conference)
Other Possible Deliverables
- Actively participate in at least 2 coaching forums and chair at least 1 coaching forum; and / or
- Actively mentor a local coach for at least 1 year and provide a report on this mentorship
In addition to the above, the applicant may propose other ideas of contribution towards coach education and development, subject to approval by SportSG.
Deliverables Time Frame
All Post-Activity Deliverables must be completed within their respective stipulated deadlines. If Post-Activity Deliverables are incomplete or are not of an acceptable standard as determined by CoachSG, future applications from the same applicant will not be considered.
Section 3: Scope of Coverage and Exclusions
Section 3.1: Scope of Coverage
Only the following items may be covered by the CDG. SportSG will review the application and deliberate on the actual grant amount:
- For local conference, Degree / Diploma or short-term courses / seminars / workshops, only the course or registration fees may be subsidised.
- For overseas conference, Degree / Diploma or short-term courses / seminars / workshops, only the following expenses may be subsidised:
- Conference, Degree / Diploma or short-term course / seminar / workshop registration or course fees
- Return Economy Class airfare
- Airport taxes
- Land transport
- Travel Insurance
Section 3.2: Exclusions
CDG does not cover:
- Standard First Aid, Cardio-Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) and Automated External Defibrillator (AED) courses as they are deemed to be fundamental skills requirement for coaches;
- Singapore Coach Excellence (SG-Coach) Programme courses organised by SportSG and NSAs (e.g. SG-Coach Theory, Technical and Integrated courses); and
- Continuing Coach Education (CCE) courses / workshops / seminars conducted by NSAs as these activities are subsidised by SportSG.
Section 4: Application Process
Before submitting an application to SportSG, please note that the applicant shall not accept any other sponsorship or grant without the prior written consent of SportSG. In the case of other sponsorship or grant already accepted by the applicant prior to this application, the applicant shall have made full disclosure of such sponsorship or grant to SportSG at the time of application for the CDG. In the event of any breach, SportSG shall be entitled to terminate the grant immediately or demand a refund of the full disbursed grant amount.
The CDG application process is described below. Coaches must submit their applications at least 2 months before start of CDG Activity. SportSG will not accept any application once the CDG Activity has started. Applications submitted within 2 months before start of CDG Activity will be closely scrutinised and considered on a case-by-case basis.
Please download application form here.
For applications as NROC Provisional Coach, Coach, Senior Coach or Master Coach
- Applicant to submit completed application form and supporting documents (see Section 5) directly to SportSG via email@example.com for review
- SportSG will consult the relevant NSA on the application. Approval or disapproval of the application will be at the sole discretion of SportSG following consultation with the NSA
- SportSG will communicate application outcome via e-mail
All CDG-related agreement will be between CoachSG and the applicant only. In the event of CDG disbursement, only the applicant will receive the disbursement; no disbursement will be given to NSAs.
For applications as Coach Developer
- Applicant to submit completed application form and supporting documents (see Section 5) to relevant NSA for review and endorsement
- After NSA’s endorsement, applicant to forward application to the SportSG for review. Approval or disapproval of the application will be at the sole discretion of SportSG
- SportSG will communicate application outcome via e-mail
Section 5: What needs to be submitted?
When applying for CDG, please submit all of these documents to firstname.lastname@example.org at least 2 months before start of CDG Activity:
- Completed CDG application form;
- Applicant’s NRIC / FIN card, Curriculum Vitae (C.V.) and sports coaching certificates;
- Details of CDG Activity (e.g. course brochure / schedule, proof of acceptance / enrolment / registration from relevant institution / organisation);
- Invoices / quotations / receipts of the cost items (e.g. return Economy Class air tickets, accommodation, travel insurance, course fees)
After the CDG Activity, please submit all of these documents to email@example.com within 1 month after the CDG Activity end date:
Successful applicants are also to abide by the Post-Activity Deliverables set forth by SportSG.
- At least 1 learning resource (refer to Section 2 for more details);
- Copies of official receipts for course / registration fee, accommodation, airfare, land transfer, airport tax, travel insurance and / or certificate awarded e.g. Certificate of Attendance / Competence (where applicable);
- A set of CDG Activity materials (e.g. presentation slides, handouts);
- Photographs from the CDG Activity
Section 6: Disbursements
Please note that all disbursements will be made in Singapore Dollars (SGD). If any of the invoices / quotations / receipts of the cost items are purely in foreign currency (i.e. with no transaction record reflecting the corresponding amount in SGD), the corresponding amount of local currency (in SGD) disbursed will be calculated based on the date on which all Post-Activity Deliverables are officially approved by SportSG.
All CDG disbursements will be given to the applicant only. NSAs will not receive any disbursement.
For all CDG Activities, 100% of the approved funds will be disbursed to the applicant upon approval of the application. After the CDG Activity, the applicant must:
- Reimburse SportSG the difference between disbursed amount and actual amount utilised;
- Submit official receipts and supporting documents as proof of funds utilisation; and
- Complete all Post-Activity Deliverables and the Deliverables are deemed satisfactory by SportSG (see Section 2 for more details)
Both (a) and (b) must be completed within 1 month after the CDG Activity end date.
For Degree / Diploma courses, applicant who fails to complete the course of study successfully is required to return 100% of the disbursed grant to SportSG.
If the applicant fails to reimburse SportSG the difference between disbursed amount and actual amount utilised within 1 month after the CDG Activity end date, future applications from the same applicant will not be considered.
Section 7: Terms and Conditions
The applicant shall refund SportSG the full disbursed grant amount should the applicant, without valid reasons and where applicable, fails to fulfil all the necessary procedures, requirement and Post-Activity Deliverables.
False declaration in any form may effect immediate disqualification from the grant.
The applicant can only apply for reimbursement (claims) on expenditure items approved in the initial CDG application.
The above Terms and Conditions of the CDG is subject to periodic review. SportSG will review the CDG annually without prior notification. Interested applicants may contact SportSG for any latest updates.
For more information, please contact:
Singapore Sport Institute
3 Stadium Drive