Values and Principles in Sports (VPS)
Values and Principles in Sports
Research has shown that participation in sports is closely linked to health, well-being and the development of life skills such as problem-solving, communication, decision-making, leadership, perseverance and time-management. Positive experiences in sports are associated with lifelong sports participation. As such, inculcating values and principles in sports are critical in laying the foundation for the future.
The Values and Principles in Sports (VPS) Workshop
A coach plays a major influence in the lives of youth because he/she is not only teaching them skills in sports, but also instilling lifelong values and principles that would mould their character and guide them in their path of development. The VPS workshop helps a coach to reflect upon one’s personal values, learn which values are beneficial to the all-rounded growth of youth and how to teach them through sports coaching.
The VPS workshop includes the following modules:
In the workshop, there are opportunities to meet other sport coaches and engage in group discussions on the various VPS topics.
- With effect from March 2015, the VPS workshop replaces the National Standards for Youth Sports.
- The VPS workshop is conducted in English.
How do I sign-up?
VPS workshop registrations are strictly on a first-come-first-served basis. To find out more on the workshop, fee and registration please click here.
Exemption from the VPS workshop
Please note that you do not need to attend VPS workshop, if you meet any of the following requirement(s).
1. You have any of the following certificates:
- National Standards for Youth Sports (NSYS) for Coaching in Singapore Schools; or
- SG-Coach Level 1 Theory (conducted by Republic Polytechnic (RP)); or
- 'Build Capacity of Coaches and Instructors (BCCI)' workshop.
2. You are currently a Ministry of Education (MOE) Physical Education (PE) teacher in service from 2015 onwards, you will be exempted from VPS workshop but are required to complete the following steps to obtain VPS Accreditation, before being eligible to receive the VPS (Accreditation) certificate:
- Attend a free online World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) CoachTrue anti-doping course and attain a WADA CoachTrue Certificate of Completion; and
- Submit your coaching philosophy (by filling in the document here)
Both WADA CoachTrue Certificate of Completion and coaching philosophy document must be submitted for CoachSG’s review and approval via Sport_Coaching@sport.gov.sg. If applicant requests for a VPS certificate, a S$10.70 (including GST) printing fee will be charged.
Should participants have further queries, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org