The Safeguarding Officer is responsible for ensuring the necessary safeguarding policies are enforced and maintained within their respective sport. They are the first point-of-contact for anyone in need and serve as a source of support and advice for any Safe Sport-related matters.
Roles & Responsibilities of the Safeguarding Officer
- The Safeguarding Officer within a sport organisation has the primary responsibility in managing and reporting any concerns related to breaches of Safe Sport practices to SportSG’s Safe Sport Taskforce.
- To be trained in responding to Safe Sport related cases and to be able to refer to the relevant authorities (e.g. SportSG Safe Sport Taskforce and SPF).
- To be able to provide first responder support to victim who report of any Safe Sport related cases.
- Act as a source of support, advice and expertise to staff, participants and volunteers in safeguarding-related matters.
- To liaise with SportSG Safe Sport Taskforce on Safe Sport policy development and awareness training.
- To promote Safe Sport practices to all staff, participants and volunteers or to all members of the sporting fraternity.
- Main point of contact and representative for the organisation for any safeguarding matters.
- Ensure safeguarding standards are met and maintained within the organisation.
- Lead in maintaining and reviewing the organisation’s implementation plan for safeguarding sport.
*All National Sports Associations are required to appoint a safeguarding officer for their sport, who will take on a two-year appointment.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Background in Psychology or Counselling is a bonus but not a requirement
- Comfortable in counselling victims
- Knowledgeable in the sport
- Experience in policy work is an advantage
- Willing to learn on laws around harassment and abuse
- Willing to learn and drive the Safe Sport efforts
- Sensitive, understanding, mature, and patient
- Minimally O Levels
* Registration for the Safeguarding Officer Training Course is strictly by selected Sporting Organisation by Invitation Only.
List of Safeguarding Officers