Introduction to Disability Sports
Multiple course intakes are available. For further queries, please e-mail ACE@rp.edu.sg
Add to Calendar
Introduction to Disability Sports
(For All NROC Coaches)
This course is being offered as part of Enhanced Training Support Package (ETSP). Click here for more ETSP courses.
In this “Introduction to Disability Sports”, participants will get an opportunity to understand disability awareness and sports delivery system in Singapore for disability sports. You will also identify the barriers and facilitators faced by PWDs in sports. Participants will also get to explore a practical tool designed to adapt and modify their coaching programmes / activities to be more inclusive. Through using the tool for sports inclusion, participants will identify different types of ways that can impact their coaching practices for PWDs.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Adopt Sport as a Strategy to support the Disability Sports Master Plan
- Know the different types of disability and apply the use of appropriate language and terminology
- Learn to identify the barriers and opportunities to facilitate sports participation in PWDs
- Use the different ways to help PWDs engage in sport as a fun, meaningful and enjoyable experience
- Learn to apply a practical framework to help coaches adapt and modify activities to be more inclusive
The course will be based on the materials from the Singapore’s Disability Sports Master Plan, National Council of Social Service and The Inclusion Club.
Minimum age of 18 years old.
Participants will be awarded the Certificate of Attendance by Republic Polytechnic upon meeting 75% of the attendance requirement.
Date and Time
- Ms Stefanie Ang is an accredited WSQ Advanced Certificate of Training and Assessment trainer, coach developer and registered NROC Volleyball, Sitting Volleyball and Boccia coach. She holds a Bachelor of Science (Exercise and Sports Science) degree and currently pursuing her studies in Master of Public Health at NUS. She has been involved in disability sports since 2007. Her current role with Sport Singapore champions the Disability Sports Master Plan. She leads the organisational and professional capabilities in disability sports. She has led the Inclusive Sports Festival for 3 seasons and Team Singapore team to numerous international competitions. She was part of the organising committee for 2015, 2017 and 2020 ASEAN Para Games held in Singapore, Kuala Lumpur and Philippines.
- Ms Lau Kim Lan has a Bachelor of Science (Exercise and Sports Science) from Edith Cowan University and is currently pursuing her Masters in Non-Profit Management from Singapore University of Social Science with acquired knowledge in Community Leadership, Non-profit Finance & Governance, Social Innovation & Entrepreneurship and Qualitative & Advanced Social Research Methods. As an experienced and qualified professional in the Disability sector, she has exhibited strong leadership in executing national level initiatives and design thinking capabilities in analysing and creating innovative and inclusive solutions to serve the community. With more than 20 years of event management experiences, she is also skilled in managing Non-Profit organizations, Major Games, disability sports coaching, volunteer training & management, workshops on disability awareness, Train-the-Trainer.
- 6 April 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 4 May 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 8 June 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 6 July 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 17 August 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 7 September 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 5 October 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 2 November 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- 7 December 2021 (Tuesday), 9am to 6pm
- Full Course Fee (Others): S$267.50
- Enhanced Training Support Package (ETSP) Scheme: S$26.75
- Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above: S$26.75
- SME-sponsored Singapore Citizens OR Singapore PR: S$30.25
- Singapore Citizens aged 39 & below OR Singapore PR: S$80.25
Companies sending their employees for training enjoy 90% course fee funding.
5 hours per workshop
Please note that the provision of publicity and recognition of CCE hours for the above courses/workshops/seminar is purely informative and coaches are advised to select their choice of CCE courses/workshops/seminars best suited for their learning needs. Sport Singapore does not have direct regulatory powers over the organisers delivering the publicised courses/workshops/seminars.