Introduction to Disability Sports
Multiple course intakes are available. For further queries, please e-mail ACE@rp.edu.sg
Add to Calendar
Introduction to Disability Sports
(For All NROC Coaches)
One of the strategic narratives of V2030 is ‘Sport without Boundaries’. Sport should be inclusive, with opportunities for persons of all abilities to participate. Every individual should be able to experience the benefits of an active and healthy lifestyle through sports, regardless of age, gender, ability, race or religion. ‘Sport without Boundaries’ is premised on the universality of sport, and the initiatives under this narrative aim to achieve a more inclusive society where opportunities are available for everyone to live better through sport (Disability Sports Master Plan, 2016).
Sport has long been recognised for its ability to empower persons with disabilities (PwDs) and improve their overall quality of life. A larger social benefit also stems from its ability to shape societal attitudes towards PwDs (Disability Sports Master Plan, 2016). One of the thrusts under the Disability Sports Master Plan (DSMP) aims to develop professional coaching and technical expertise in disability sports industry for Singapore.
In this “Introduction to Disability Sports”, participants will get an opportunity to understand disability awareness and sports delivery system in Singapore for disability sports. You will also identify the barriers and facilitators faced by PWDs in sports. Participants will also get to explore a practical tool designed to adapt and modify their coaching programmes / activities to be more inclusive. Through using the tool for sports inclusion, participants will identify different types of ways that can impact their coaching practices for PWDs.
By the end of the course, participants will be able to:
- Adopt Sport as a Strategy to support the Disability Sports Master Plan
- Know the different types of disability and apply the use of appropriate language and terminology
- Understand the local and international disability sports delivery systems
- Learn to identify the barriers and opportunities to facilitate sports participation in PWDs
- Use the different ways to help PWDs engage in sport as a fun, meaningful and enjoyable experience
- Learn to apply a practical framework to help coaches adapt and modify activities to be more inclusive.
Date and Time
Please access this link for course schedule. For further queries, please e-mail ACE@rp.edu.sg.
This course is conducted online to facilitate off-campus learning from home.
- Full Course Fee (Others): S$267.50
- Workfare Training Support (WTS): S$17.75
- Singapore Citizens aged 40 & above: S$26.75
- SME-sponsored Singapore Citizens OR Singapore PR: S$30.25
- Singapore Citizens aged 39 & below OR Singapore PR: S$80.25
- Payment may be made using SkillsFuture Credit
- All fees quoted are inclusive of GST
- Workfare Training Support (WTS) scheme for SCs 35 years and above with average gross income not exceeding S$2,000
- Republic Polytechnic reserves the right to make changes to the course fee and application closing dates without prior notice. The commencement of each course is subject to sufficient number of participants
- All information is accurate at the time of publishing
5 hours per workshop
To register, please access this link. In addition, do check out other related 1-day courses too:
Creating an Inclusive (Sports) Learning Environment
Creating an Inclusive (Swimming) Learning Environment
Strength Training for Inclusive Fitness using HUR Activ8
Please note that the provision of publicity and recognition of CCE hours for the above courses/workshops/seminar is purely informative and coaches are advised to select their choice of CCE courses/workshops/seminars best suited for their learning needs. Sport Singapore does not have direct regulatory powers over the organisers delivering the publicised courses/workshops/seminars.